Many customers that we have in to our dry cleaners don’t know how to explain what they want to get done for their clothes.
Even if English isn’t your first language, knowing some of these words will help a lot on your next visit.
Terminology for alterations
- Hem- Hemming is one of the most basic, but important, words to know.
This means to cut in length and can apply to any kinds of clothing.
- Cuffs- If you like your pants with the cuffs at the bottom.
Make sure to clarify you want cuffs or they might come back with a regular hem.
- Taper- Taper means to reduce in width.
This term is normally used when referring to pant legs.
- Take in- This term usually refers to the shrinking of the waist.
It could be used for pants, skirts, and dresses.
- Let out- This is the opposite of take in.
This is only for clothes that were made with extra fabric sewn in.
The extra fabric is let out,therefore creating more room to the waist
Apply these words on your next visit at Vogue Cleaners!